Aerogel Interior Wall Insulation Reduces U-Values by 44% and Lowers Energy Use and Carbon Emissions
- Provide insulation for UK government program to upgrade insulation in public housing apartment units.
- The insulation needed to improve the units' U-values to save energy and reduce carbon emissions.
- The insulation also needed to be thin to minimize encroachment on living space in small rooms.
- Other requirements included water resistance, noise abatement, breathability, and easy installation.
- The Proctor Group developed a double layer of ThermaBlok® laminated to a building facing board.
- The insulation panel met the functional requirements with a total thickness of only 30 mm.
- Panels were easy to install, simply screwed onto the existing wall with no framing needed.
Panels of ThermaBlok laminated to building facing board were easily attached to apartment walls and around windows and other fixtures.
- The ThermaBlok solution cost-effectively met all energy targets. (Details below.)
- The ThermaBlok solution was three times thinner than the nearest installed competitive solution due to framing requirments.
- Installation was 50% faster than the nearest competitive solution.
- Overall, the ThermaBlok was the best space/cost solution.
U-Value and Energy Savings From Installation of ThermaBlok
- U-value reduction: 0.28 W/m2k, (0.63 - 0.35 W/m2K), a 44% reduction.
Energy reduction: 900 kWhr/yr.
- Carbon emmission reduction: 400 kg/yr.