Frequently Asked Questions About Thermablok®
What is the price and minimum order quantity of Thermablok?
- Please contact a sales representative for current pricing and availability of all Thermablok products. There are no minimum quantities, and custom sizes are available.
Is there a Thermablok retailer in my area?
- Currently there are no distributors for Thermablok. As we identify retail distributors, information will be available on our web site.
Is there a one page summary or cut sheet for Thermablok?
Who would I talk to represent your product?
- Distributor inquiries, please call +1-813-980.1400.
What is an Aerogel and how is it made?
Has the U.S. Government tested the Thermablok material?
We are interested in seeing how your product may be used in retrofit installations.
- Thermablok is a perfect fit for a retrofit. Depending on whether the outer shell is being removed or not, Thermablok's thermal bridging barrier insulation can be placed on either the outside or the inside of the wall studs. Extend the full length of the framing members apply to all wall, floor or ceiling framing edges, headers, footers, trusses, window and door frames, floor joist and roof rafters. With metal framing you are able to create a warm stud, preventing condensation.
It appears Thermablok would install very quickly so the labor component is very competitive. Can you provide budgetary costs for review?
What environmental certifications does the product have? Will it comply with our LEED credit requirements?
- Thermablok material has Cradle to Cradle Silver Certification. One LEED point can be obtained through the use of at least 5% Cradle to Cradle Silver certified products/building materials. Energy Star certification is now in progress and will be announced on our Technical Data page when completed. Contact our sales staff at +1-813-980.1400 for current certification information.
Are there wider widths say for heads 10" or 12" wide?
- Thermablok is available in custom widths. Only the Thermablok Aerogel Insulation Strips (1-1/2" width) are encased in a self-adhesive plastic sleeve. Call 813.980.1400 for pricing and availability.
Do you market Thermablok in large pieces suitable to insulate entire wall or floor areas?
- Yes, Thermablok is available in rolls, 60 inches (1.5 m) wide and up to 155 feet (47 m) long. Call 813.980.1400 for pricing and availability.
Can Thermablok also be applied to already built areas in a home?
Thermablok thermal bridging barrier insulation can be applied to existing homes during remodeling. The application of the Thermablok Aerogel Insulation Strips are to in interior or exterior (preferred) face of a wall stud, header, footer and window & door frames, and/or in the flooring joists. Thermablok can be used in the attic on the stud face to break the thermal bridging when enclosing and finishing an attic area.
I notice you are showing it on the interior face of a stud wall, why not the exterior face?
- It is generally better from a building science point of view to put the Thermablok on the exterior face of framing members if you will be able to access the entire building envelope, and between floor joists and other areas that are not accessible from the inside.
- From a structural standpoint, if there are shear wall considerations, then the Thermablok should go to the inside: We have not done any tests to measure the impact of Thermablok on the shear and racking strength of a wall.
- From a labor standpoint, it is generally better to put the Thermablok on the inside. The labor requirements for a drywall crew working in the building's interior to install Thermablok, are much less than the labor requirements of a framing crew installing Thermablok on the building's exterior.
What happens to the material when a drywall screw pierces it?
- A slight amount of thermal bridging will occur through the metal of the drywall screw. To eliminate the impact of this bridging, Thermablok can be applied to both the interior and exterior faces of the wall stud.
Gypsum wallboard is installed with mechanical fasteners and adhesive. Does the use of this product eliminate the effectiveness of an adhesive?
- All common construction adhesives will bond with Thermablok, but we do not recommend installation of drywall over Thermablok without mechanical fasteners. Install drywall or other wallboard with conventional fasteners according to manufacturers instructions.
I am looking for a product that can be used on the inside of properties built with solid stone or brick walls which would give additional insulation.
- Thermablok blanket material is ideal for this application because of the small amount of space (1/4 inch) required. Call us at 813.980.1400 to discuss your application with a technical support specialist.
I'm a home owner wondering how I can use this insulation to seal some air leaks in my house.
- Thermablok is intended for use inside wall and ceiling assemblies, and provides major energy savings when installed as part of a remodeling or retrofit project. For air leaks, a conventional form of insulation or weather stripping should be used.
Is it practical to use it as internal acoustic insulation for air conditioning ducts?
- Thermablok is not the most cost effective solution for this application.
Can the Thermablok be used to insulate around lighting cans?
- Can lights designed for high insulation value and energy efficiency are now available, and we recommend them for this application.
Can Thermablok be applied in the attic to prevent heat gain in summer?
- If you are re-roofing the house, Thermablok can be attached to roof rafters to virtually eliminate thermal bridging. If the attic studs are exposed and you are going to insulate the wall cavity between the stud and install covering materials for the ceiling, attach Thermablok to the interior side of the studs to prevent thermal bridging.
Can Thermablok replace expensive exterior extruded polystyrene insulation to block thermal loss through metal studs?
- Yes, Thermablok can be used to replace expensive extruded polystyrene insulation to block thermal loss through metal studs.
Can Thermablok provide effective insulation for metal framed aircraft hanger doors?
- Call us at 813.980.1400 to discuss your application with a technical support specialist.
Where can I buy a little piece to show my class? Thank you - this stuff looks really interesting and cool!
Can you assist us in using Thermablok as a component in a product we have under development.
- Thermablok is always interested in partnering with companies developing applications for aerogel composite insulation materials. Call us at 813.980.1400 to discuss your application with a technical support specialist.
How does Thermablok facilitate the elimination of thermal bridging?
- Thermablok utilizes Aerogel Technology. Aerogels are very low-density materials with extraordinarily low thermal and acoustic conductivity. Aerogels typically consist from 90 to 99% air, making them highly effective insulators, having the lowest thermal conductivity of any solid. Aerogels are composed of a network of interconnected nanoparticles. Their nanoscale structure resembles a sponge. Thermablok Aerogel is comprised of silica aerogel, which is a superior conductive insulator.
Are you listed on the stock exchange and if yes, what is your symbol and what exchange?
- Thermablok is not presently traded on any exchange. We will announce our IPO on the Thermablok website.